We are raised to believe that being healthy is important. For most people, being healthy means being physically active and eating well. These are important, but our lives have many more facets. In order to be happy and well-rounded people, we need balance in our lives.
But, what is wellness?
Instead of focusing on being healthy, you should focus on being well. In order to do this, you have to look at all the different aspects of your life and try to find balance and fulfillment in all of them.
The Wellness Wheel has been created in order to show all the different facets of wellness:
To have a positive outlook on the meaning of life.
- Practicing in spiritual activities
- Defining your own personal beliefs and ethics
- Spending time on personal reflection
Having support from family, friends, and co-workers, while being able to support others.
- Developing friendships
- Interacting with people from all backgrounds
- Having a good personal sense of self.
- Communicating your feelings in a healthy way
- Making time for yourself to relax
A positive perception of the environment that you live and work in.
- Being aware of the environment around you
- Helping to protect and create sustainable environment
Your personal outlook on your work and career.
- Finding satisfaction with your work
- Creating positive relationships with co-workers
- Being comfortable with your work and work environment
Your personal perception of physical health.
- Having a regular workout
- Eating properly
- Getting regular physical check-ups
- Avoiding the use of tobacco and other drugs
A positive perception of yourself and the ability to cope with the difficulties in life.
- Keeping a positive attitude
- Coping with stress in a healthy way
- Realistically dealing with your personal issues
- Being sensitive to your feelings and the feelings around you
- Taking responsibilities for your own actions
- Viewing obstacles in life as opportunities for growth
The Wellness Wheel helps people visualize all the different aspect of their lives. Recognizing all these aspects can help us see what we need to work on in order to feel balanced and whole in our lives.