Pasta is out! With gluten-filled foods becoming a thing of the past, more and more alternatives are popping up to replace the wheat in our meals and pasta is no exception. Now before you wince at the thought, let me promise this does not mean no spaghetti, lasagna, or ravioli will ever grace your dining room tables again, I promise. In fact there are plenty of ways to cut out the pasta from our recipe and add something green instead, such as this recipe for Spinach and Ricotta Stuffed Zucchini Ravioli. See there, ravioli just like your grandma used to make but without pasta. This low-carb alternative even has a great name, ZOODLES! You’ll never get tired of saying that one.
Don’t let the zoodles scare you; a peeler and pair of steady hands will work just fine if you don’t have a pasta spiralizer on hand. Note: the noodle world is a vast one, there are noodles, zoodles, spaghetti squash and even shaved asparagus. Let’s get started.
3 large zucchini
4 cups baby
1 tsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp dried basil
1 container light ricotta
1.2 cup tomato sauce
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using a peeler, peel zucchini into strips. Discard ones that are too thin.
- In a large pan, add spinach and top with olive oil. Cook on medium-high heat until wilted.
- Add in garlic and saute for one more minute.
- Stir in dried basil.
- Take two piece of zucchini and place one on top of the other to create a “T”.
- Add 1 tablespoon of ricotta to the center of the “T” and top with 1 teaspoon of spinach.
- Take one side of the bottom strip and fold over center. Take the other side of the bottom strip and fold over the other piece covering the center.
- Take one side of the top piece and fold over the center (tucking in if possible) and then fold the other side of the top piece and fold it over the other side covering the center (tucking in if possible).
- Repeat until all zucchini, ricotta and spinach has been used.
- Place zucchini in a large oven-proof pan and top with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with tomato sauce or sauce of choice.